Now Trending: Beans
Today’s consumers want calories that count—not empty calories. They care where their food comes from and how it impacts the environment. And they scour packaging labels like never before, looking for buzzwords like “gluten-, allergen- and GMO-free.” Learn more about the latest food and marketing trends, and how beans are rising to the challenge.
The Science of Beans
With beans exploding onto the food manufacturing scene, it seems like there’s a new study, article or finding on beans being published every day. Keep up on the latest research with our technical resource list.
- Zhang, Zhiying, Elaine Lanza, Penny M. Kris-Etherton, Nancy H. Colburn, Deborah Bagshaw, Michael J. Rovine, Jan S. Ulbrecht, Gerd Bobe, Robert S. Chapkin and Terryl J. Hartman. “A High Legume Low Glycemic Index Diet Improves Serum Lipid Profiles in Men”. Lipids 45(9) (2010): 765-775.
- Bazzano, Lydia A. MD, PhD, Angela M. Thompson MSPH, Michael T. Tees, MD, MPH, Cuong H. Nguyen MPH, and Donna M. Winham DrPH. “Non-soy Legume Consumption Lowers Cholesterol Levels: A Meta-analysis of Randomized Controlled Trials”. Nutr Metab Cardiovasc Dis 21(2) (2011): 94-103.
- Ruben, Rita Carey MS, RD, CDE. “Dietary Fiber – New Insights on Health Benefits”. Today’s Dietician 13(2) (2011): 42.
- Lattimer, James M. and Mark D. Haub. “Effects of Dietary Fiber and its Components on Metabolic Health”. Nutrients (2010): 1266-1289.
- Bouchenak, Malika and Myriem Lanri-Senhadji. “Nutritional Quality of Legumes and Their Role in Cardiometabolic Risk Prevention: A Review”. J Med Food 16(3) (2013): 185-198.
- Chibbar, Ravindra N., Priyatharini Ambigaipalan, and Ratnajothi Hoover. “Molecular Diversity in Pulse Seed Starch and Complex Carbohydrates and Its Role in Human Nutrition and Health”. Cereal Chem 87(4) (2010): 342-352.
- McCrory, Megan A., Bruce R. Hamakar, Jennifer C. Lovejoy, and Petra E. Eichelsdoefer. “Pulse Consumption, Satiety, and Weight Management”. Adv Nutr 1(1) (2010): 17-30.
- Marinangeli, Christopher P.F. and Peter J. H. Jones. “Pulse Grain Consumption and Obesity: Effects on Energy Expenditure, Substrate Oxidation, Body Composition, Fat Deposition and Satiety”. British Journal of Nutrition 108 (2012): S46- S51.
- Curran, Julianne PhD. “The Nutritional Value and Health Benefits of Pulses in Relation to Obesity, Diabetes, Heart Disease and Cancer”. British Journal of Nutrition 108 (2012): S1-S2.
- Print. Perceptions of flatulence from bean consumption among adults in 3 feeding studies, November 2011, Nutrition Journal
- Postprandial Response of Bean Consumption on Inflammation, Oxidative Stress, Clucose and Insulin in Adults with Metabolic Syndrome, Elizabeth J. Reverri, Jody M. Randolph, Francene M. Steinberg, C. Tissa Kappagoda, Indika Edirisinghe3 and Britt Burton-Freeman, The FASEB Journal. 2012;26:819.34