Additional ADM programs and partnerships for a more sustainable cocoa supply
- The ADM Cocoa Technical Training Program works through cooperatives in Côte d'Ivoire to teach cocoa growers about labor practices, farm safety, HIV/AIDS prevention, operational transparency, bean quality and environmental stewardship. The program also offers business training to managers of farmer cooperatives. More than 24,000 growers have attended ADM Technical Training seminars since the year 2000, and it is estimated that the program has indirectly reached 240,000 members of the region's farming population.
- ADM has joined the World Cocoa Foundation, the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation and several other cocoa and chocolate industry companies to support the Cocoa Livelihoods Program, an initiative to significantly improve the livelihoods of approximately 200,000 cocoa farming families in the west Africa nations of Côte d'Ivoire, Ghana, Nigeria, Liberia and Cameroon. The program seeks to enhance farmer knowledge and competitiveness, improve crop productivity and quality, promote crop diversification and improve supply-chain efficiency.
- ADM provides opportunities for farmers from participating cooperatives to attend the Sustainable Tree Crops Program's Farmer Field Schools, which have educated thousands of cocoa farmers about labor standards, business practices and farming methods.
- ADM offers an HIV/AIDS education, prevention and treatment program for all full-time staff members, their families and retired employees in Côte d’Ivoire. And in Ghana, ADM collaborates with Gesellschaft für Internationale Zusammenarbeit (GIZ), a German sustainable development organization, to provide a workplace health initiative for ADM employees, families and local community residents.
- ADM supports the Ivorian School Canteen Program to improve nutrition and school attendance. Working with the United Nations World Food Programme and the Ivorian Ministry of Education, ADM provides direct financial support and in-kind donations of protein for inclusion in meals served at schools. The availability of nutritious meals provides a compelling incentive for parents to send their children to school.
- We are a member of International Cocoa Initiative (ICI), a Swiss foundation created to combat the worst forms of child labor in cocoa production. And, our company is participating in the United States Department of Labor’s Framework of Action to Support Implementation of the Harkin-Engel Protocol, which aims to help eliminate child labor in the cocoa industry.