Additional ADM programs and partnerships for a more sustainable cocoa supply
In addition to SERAP, ADM operates or participates in a variety of related cocoa-sustainability programs:
- The ADM Cocoa Technical Training Program works through cooperatives in Côte d'Ivoire to teach cocoa growers about labor practices, farm safety, HIV/AIDS prevention, operational transparency, bean quality and environmental stewardship.
- In early 2013, ADM Cocoa and ADM Fertilizer joined the World Cocoa Foundation’s African Cocoa Initiative, the Sustainable Trade Initiative, and several public- and private-sector cocoa stakeholders to launch a Soil Health Initiative in the cocoa-producing regions of Côte d’Ivoire and Nigeria. The soil health initiative enables access to cocoa-specific fertilizers and provides technical assistance to help ensure proper usage and maximum impact.
- ADM Cocoa has designed and launched an education, training and women’s empowerment program in Côte d’Ivoire in cooperation with the World Cocoa Foundation, the Royal Tropical Institute and the French development organization Institute Européen de Coopération et de Développement. The initiative will be rolled out over the course of the next two years.
- ADM has joined the World Cocoa Foundation, the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation and several other cocoa and chocolate industry companies to support the Cocoa Livelihoods Program, an initiative to significantly improve the livelihoods of approximately 200,000 cocoa farming families in the West Africa nations of Côte d'Ivoire, Ghana, Nigeria and Cameroon.
- ADM provided US$576,000 to Opportunities Industrialization Centers International–Côte d’Ivoire to fund the construction of 16 clean-water wells and eight small culvert bridges. ADM offers an HIV/AIDS education and prevention program for all full-time staff members, their families and retired employees in Côte d’Ivoire. And in Ghana, ADM collaborates with Gesellschaft für Internationale Zusammenarbeit, a German development organization, to provide a workplace health program for ADM employees, their families and local community residents.
- We are a member of the International Cocoa Initiative (ICI), an organization created to combat illegal child labor in cocoa production. ADM’s managers and commercial teams in Côte d’Ivoire have also been trained by ICI to identify and address inappropriate labor practices.
Previous Page Next Page